Become a Substitute
We value our substitutes! You, as the substitute teacher, are a very important person to students, to the school staff and to the community. We are very pleased that you have chosen to join the St. Landry Parish School District community! Our goal is to ensure high-quality instruction while working collaboratively with families and communities to maximize every student's potential. Each employee is a vital part of that mission, and we want you to join our team!
- High school diploma or GED is required
Applying to be a Substitute Teacher
- Stop by the St. Landry Parish School Board (Opelousas Schools) OR by a school near you to pick up practice materials for the test.
- The fee for the practice material/certification is $30. You will pay this fee upon receipt of the practice materials.
- Study for your assessment.
- Come by the St. Landry Parish School Board Office to take your test (Tests are administered every Tuesday beginning at 8:30).
- Let the receptionist know that you would like to take the substitute certification test.
- You will be guided to the Computer Lab to take an online assessment where you will be given login instructions.
- Upon passing the test, you will print your certificate.
- You will take the certificate to the personnel department where you will be given an application, the drug screening form (Drug test must be done within 24 hours of receipt)
- The drug test is done at Opelousas General - 539 E. Prudhomme St. Opelousas, LA 70870 (no charge) Results will be sent to the school board office.
- You will be given instructions for fingerprinting. (Fingerprinting is done at the Sheriff's department and there is a $10 fee that must be paid with cash)
- Address to sheriff's office - 108 S. Market Street Opelousas, LA 70570
- Once the application has been completed, you will bring it back to the St. Landry Parish School Board Office with the following documents:
- drivers license
- social security card
- all forms included in your application packet
- signed fingerprint cards
- Ethics training certificate
- high school diploma or transcripts
- Certified teachers interested in substituting do not need to take the exam but will need to go through all other steps listed above and provide a copy of your teaching certificate.